Dear students, parents and carers,
Following the cancellation of this year’s summer exams, the Department for Education and Ofqual have launched a consultation seeking views on how to award grades in a way that reflects students’ performance accurately, recognising the disruption they have faced this year.
Similar alternative arrangements are proposed for students taking vocational and technical qualifications, such as BTECs and Cambridge Technicals, to ensure students are treated fairly and are equally able to progress.
Following publication on Friday afternoon, the consultation will be open for two weeks and end on Friday 29 January at 23:45.
We are studying the consultation in detail and will respond as a group of Brooke Weston Trust secondary academies. Once the outcome of the consultation has been published we will communicate clearly with you regarding what it means for you and further plans for supporting you.
In summary, Ofqual and the Department for Education propose that:
- students would continue with their education during this academic year
- students would be assessed by their teachers in a period beginning in May into early June
- teachers would submit grades to the exam boards by mid-June
- external quality assurance by the exam boards would be ongoing throughout June
- results would be issued to students once the QA process is complete, most likely in early July
- student appeals could be submitted immediately following the issue of results and would first be considered by schools and colleges
We would like to draw your attention to the following statement in the consultation: ‘we propose that teachers should make final assessments of the standard of their students’ performance during late May and early June’ therefore it is extremely important you continue to engage with all your lessons.
We would like to reassure you that we are here for you and will continue to deliver live lessons whilst lockdown continues. Please do get in touch if you need any help whatsoever, whether academic or pastoral.
We really do hope to see you back in school soon and in the meantime please take care.
Executive Principal – Secondary Academies